Thursday, October 2, 2014

Finally at that place...

Yesterday, I finally was at a place where I ultimately okay with my parents knowing what I'm doing in my life (for the most part anyway). I finally approved my mother's Facebook friend request after so long keeping it in limbo. 

I was a rebellious kid. I did many a thing that I kept a secret from my parents in fear of them scolding me. Because of it I developed a sense of defensiveness as a child that I (fortunately or unfortunately) brought up to my young adult years. 

These days, I'm trying my best to not snap at my mother (out of defensiveness and my own impatience, I am very sorry about that). I am trying to control my temper and to always try to tell her as much going on-s in my life as possible. There are certain things still that I find I cannot tell her directly, but to allow her to guess and for me not actually confirming her answer (to give myself some leeway just in case someone gets mad). But seeing as I don't post those things on Facebook anyway, and I'm assuming that I can still rant without the 'rents screaming at me at the top of their lungs (God bless them), I made the decision that approving my mother's request on Facebook won't be the worst thing ever.

Ange always told me to think, if I can take the consequences of what I might do, then go ahead and do it if it makes me happier. I have a friend, Vince; he was so adamant for me to not approve the request because he still insists that parents should be clueless about our so-called "fabulous" life. I can see that he is still at the rebellious stage, not really growing up. But then again, looking at the state of his family (I'm not to gossip, but to state facts), I don't blame him (too much)

I want my parents to be a part of life. Now that I'm not at home often, and what with my temper when I am I home, I want a platform where I can share what I'm doing with my parents without me snapping or them reacting too badly when I break out something to them. It's not the perfect step, I should be telling them things personally instead of relying on technology like Facebook. But it's a step I can take at the moment, because I am trying to work on my impatience, not to mention my defensiveness that causes a lot of trouble. 

And personally, I think mama would be happy too, knowing that she can somehow keep in touch with me when she wants to. I don't post too much personal things on there now. But it'll allow her to feel like I'm still with her. I know she misses us. 


0 mini-scribbles:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com